Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Nervous

I have an appointment now Friday and again when we get back from vacation on the 21st.
I will be 10w6d Friday and 13w4d on the 21st.

I am very very nervous when it comes to the nuchal translucency scan. And the blood test that goes with it.

I am 37 years old, and I know age is an "issue". My doc says 38 is now the age at which they recommend an amnio, not 35 like they used to. I don't know what the difference is between my 37 and 38, but oh well.
I know that Down's isn't always connected to the woman's age.
I don't remember worrying about it this much with the boys or even with Dylan.

A dear friend told me about a new blood test a while ago, MaterniT21, a non-invasive genetic test. I don't live in the US, so I started googling. It took me a while, but I did find a similar test they offer here. (They don't offer the MaterniT21.)
About a week later, there was an article in the newspaper about this new blood test which "replaces" the amnio.
The only draw-back is that the test is expensive! It's about 600 Euros and insurance doesn't cover it.

I talked to T about it. He was hesitant. He is a very positive person and didn't want to talk about these things or make decisions until we are there and we may have to talk about it. He is such an optimist that he believes all we ok no matter what....
While I admire that in him, I think he should realize that life isn't like that (even after losing Dylan he is still like this) and he needs to talk about certain things now.....

I told him that he needs to think about what he would want to do if they were to tell us that the baby may have down's.
I don't know if I could keep it. I don't know if I would be capable of having a disabled baby and raising a disabled child. I don't know if I want to completely change my children's lives by having a disabled child.

So, we will have the NT scan and the blood test (the normal one). I will talk to my doc about the new blood test. I would like to get it done now Friday, but we will see what she says.

------------------

I have been spotting slightly since yesterday afternoon. Only when I go to the bathroom, when I wipe, a bit of brownish slime. No blood in my undies. Nothing this morning. But when I just went to the bathroom again now, there was a bit of spotting again.

Argh. I had a bit of spotting with Dylan around 8 weeks. It went away by itself and was nothing.
So I'm not freaking out completely, but I am worried.

I've been worried about so much the past 10 weeks. And I will probably worry for another 6 months if all goes well......

5 comments:

  1. So much to worry about. You are such a good mama and will continue to make the right decisions. xoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worry never ends....good luck at your appt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the spotting I know that can't be easy. We did the M21 test here in the States. I am glad we did just so we knew more than anything. Let me know of you have any questions about it. Praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dr offered the same thing, the normal scan and blood work and then if that comes back inconclusive or there is something not lining up either way, they they offer the other one, only issue is you have to wait 3 weeks or longer for results.... and it's not always covered by insurance providers. Hubs and I are talking about what we would do now... I know- I feel the same way... I'll be 9w5 days tomorrow and I have a scan then too.... I'm nervous too..... But I have waited so long for this little one.... as have you.... xoxo thinking good thoughts for you, and we are EXACTLY 1 week apart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fear of mine as well. I'll be 36 this year and while some say it's still young, the risk come creeping up slowly. We are now waiting for the result, the thing is as the nurse who took my bloods said, even if it comes back at low risk, it's no guarantee that its not there. BUT, the chances are low. Ugh, don't really know if that helped when being on the wrong side of the statistics before...

    Anyway, take one test and ultrasound at a time. I agree though, it's good to think ahead of what you would do and how much you think you can handle if it would be the case. I hope you never have to make that decision.

    Sending positive thoughts for your scan tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved