Thursday, February 2, 2012

How do I do this?

I don't know where to start....how to even put these feelings into words. But I have vowed to myself that I will do this, that I will work through this and if writing it all down helps, then that is what I will do.

I'll start from the beginning....
I have 2 wonderful sons, 7 and 5 years old. When my oldest son X was born, I found my purpose in life. I was to be a mom. I loved and still love everything about being a mom, although a 7 year old is hard work at times! Two and a half years later, our second son L was born. Again, I knew there was nothing else I wanted more than to be a mommy and take care of my boys.

When L was 2 years old, we decided we wanted to have another baby. After months and months of trying (and being very frustrated that it wasn't happening), I was pregnant. 8 weeks later, on New Years day 2010, T drove me to the ER because I was screaming with stomach pain. 2 hours later I was in surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.
Luckily, they were able to save my tube. After a couple of days I was sent home to heal.
I thought that was bad.
That was nothing compared to now.


Now. I don't know how to begin my story. I don't want to begin my story, I'm afraid that if I write it all down it will be real. I want it to be a horrible dream, I don't want it to be real.

In September 2011 my period was finally late, and never came. I took 2 pregnancy tests, you never know if one positive test is just a fluke, and found out that we were pregnant.
Because of my ectopic pregnancy in 2010, I was allowed to see my doc earlier than normal and at 6 weeks we saw the embryo for the first time. 2 weeks later, at 8 weeks, we went back and saw and heard a heartbeat.
I was having a hard time, I was very nervous even though I knew that everything was going the way it was supposed to but a miscarriage was always a possibility.
Our 12 week ultrasound was perfect, I was also worrying about my age (I'm 35).....
The 16 week ultrasound also looked good and by then I had felt our baby. Every kick I felt was wonderful and reassured me that everything was still ok.
The 20 week ultrasound, our baby was perfect. We found out that we were having a third boy. We were going to have 3 musketeers!

On Tuesday morning, the 31st of January, I woke up at 4:30 because I had to pee. I was having a bad night, lots of tossing and turning and I was uncomfortable, my pelvis was hurting. I got up, peed, went back to bed. I started getting hard tummies, every so many minutes. 10 minutes later the hard tummies started hurting. Not a good thing. I waited it out for a couple of minutes, but they didn't go away. I woke T up, he got the boys out of bed and dressed, packed them in the car and we were on our way to the hospital by 5 am.
I had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. But I was ignoring it, trying to explain to the boys why mommy had to go to the hospital.... I was trying to convince myself that I was just having contractions, would get medication and have to stay home.....

The ER sent us up to the maternity ward. They first checked for a heartbeat, even found one. 5 minutes later a doc showed up and said she wanted to do an ultrasound. She checked my cervix which was still fine. She then went to check our baby. I remember thinking "he's not moving!!", T was holding my hand but was still not worried.
Then the most dreaded words came out of the doc's mouth: "I have bad news. Your baby is not alive any more."
Our worlds collapsed.
T started crying. I was sure that she was wrong, she just needed to look again.
This was my biggest fear. I had not felt the baby move on Monday. I had mentioned this to T, but also said that at 22 weeks it's normal that I didn't constantly feel him.
If I had come a day earlier, would it have changed anything?

I was told I had to deliver our son. Wow. I had not realized what I would have to do. I didn't want to do that. I could not imagine doing that.
T called my mom so she could pick X and L up, they were still waiting for us. We had to tell them that the baby had died. How do you tell your 7 and 5 year olds that the baby in mommy's tummy is no longer alive????!!!! Why do I have to tell them that??? Why do they have to go through something like that???
X started crying, he was so looking forward to a brother or sister. I still feel horribly bad for him. Poor X, why did that have to be taken from him????

At 9:52 am on January 31st, I gave birth to our son Dylan. He was 470 gr and 27.5 cm.
I had only been pregnant for 22 weeks.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was the most physically painful thing that I have ever done. I will not even start to say anything about the emotional pain.

We were able to hold Dylan and take pictures. It was unreal. T cried. I couldn't cry. I don't know why, there just weren't any tears.
An hour or so later I was taken to the OR because the placenta was stuck. So surgery. again. Just to make it all a little bit worse.

I spent the rest of the day trying to understand what had happened. Why it had happened. Why me? These thing happen, I know that. But not to me. Not to us. I had my round of bad luck two years ago. Wasn't that enough??!!

We were able to spend a lot of time with Dylan. I had never though that I would be able to do that.
He was beautiful.
He was a perfect baby, a perfect son, our perfect third musketeer.





3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you're feeling right now. I lost my twins back in October. Nobody can really understand the pain unless they have gone through this. I'm here for you if you ever need somebody to talk, cry, scream. I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks.....I am amazed how everyone is ready to help.....thank you

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that writing helps you through this painful time.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved