Thursday, March 1, 2012

Anti-conception - WHAT???

I started taking the pill again on Tuesday. Oh joy. NOT

We went to see my doc 2 weeks ago. She wanted to talk to us, make sure we're not falling into a big hole, give us results..... 
First of all the results: as it was when we left, I had the listeria bacteria. It was found, again and again, in all samples, from me and Dylan. Dylan died of pneumonia. It all happened very fast. That was supposed to make us feel better. I'm still not sure if it does. Yes, it's a good thing that he didn't feel much pain, that he died fast. But I just keep thinking if I would have gotten sick and they would have been able to treat me.... even though our doc said that even with full-term babies, if the mom gets listeria and they do an emergency c-section, they are always too late, I still keep thinking "what if....." 

She then asked about anti-conception. It surprised me. It was the last thing on my mind then, now, the past few weeks.
But she is right, there will be a day when T and I will have sex again. I know T is patiently waiting till I am ready for that day. But even now, 4 weeks later, it is so not something I want. Then again, maybe it would be good....
When she asked if I wanted to start taking the pill again, I gave her a look of "why??". 

You see, even on the day we were told that Dylan had died and I had to give birth to him, I never thought I would not want to get pregnant again. I still feel that same way. I always said I wanted 3 kids, this hasn't changed. Even though I am utterly terrified of what could go wrong during a new pregnancy, I truly do think I want to do it again.
I now know that I was very naive during my first 2 pregnancies. Of course I knew about miscarriages and stuff, I had heard stories, but this would not happen to me.
After my ectopic, I thought, "ok, one bad thing happened, the next will be ok". And it was, up until the shit hit the fan.
Now I know so much more, I have so much more to be scared about.
I've been reading blogs for the past month now. It's been good to know that I am not the only one suffering, going through a loss. But sometimes I think it would be better for me to not read all these things, to not know so many things can go wrong.....

Even so, T and I have had the talk. Do we want to try again? When do we want to start trying? 
I think we have decided that we will start trying again later this year. 
It seems weird now to even write this. How can I say this after losing a baby a month ago? I feel as if I am not mourning him enough.
I do not want to replace Dylan. Dylan will always be our third baby, our third son.

I said this to our doc. She said there are couples who stop trying after something so horrible happened to them. Others get pregnant again as soon as possible.
She said something I now believe to be true. The feeling that you want a child is like being in love. no matter how hard you try, this feeling does not go away. (she said she even has women in their 50's still saying they'd love to have another baby!)

So going on the pill is not really something I had thought of as an option.
The main reason she convinced me is that she said my body could very well have a hard time getting back on track hormonally by itself. She said it could take up to 5-6 months before I get my period after a traumatic experience like what I had. And without my period, I'm not likely to ovulate and be able to get pregnant.
So the pill it is. Even if it's just to get my hormones back to where they should be. Ideally I should have my period twice and then I am allowed to get pregnant.
Emotionally I don't think I'll be ready for that in 2 months. But at least my body will be ready again.

Sometimes I think I should just stop thinking about a baby. I have 2 healthy, beautiful sons. Why should I go through it all again?
I can just hear the comments some people will give me if and when we are pregnant again.

When reading other blogs, I feel guilty of wanting to have another baby. There are so many women here who can't get or stay pregnant. Most of them don't have any children. Most of them aren't as lucky as I am to have children who are alive and well.
I hope I haven't offended anyone reading this with my thoughts of a new pregnancy. 

3 comments:

  1. I believe that the beautiful thing about blogging is that you have a right to write whatever is on your mind. I have never been offended by anything anyone on blogging has said. And I certainly am not offended by anything you say. You deserve the family you dream of. That some of us can't get or stay pregnant doesn't take away from the longing you have for 3rd baby. And, quite frankly, if someone IS offended, then can just stop reading your blog! This is your space. I for one wish you all the best in getting pregnant as soon as you decide you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should never be afraid to write what is on your mind... You should do whatever it is you chose to do. And having a baby is a wonderful thing, I think that is amazing you are thinking such a wonderful postitive thing. You are so strong. I cannot see anything but support from other in whatever you choose to do...
    I really dislike that we women have to be so harden to the facts of life in this way... knowing that at any min. our pregnancy can end... I think that if you want to have a another baby, then you should do it! You are going to make it through this, and the Birth Control, I think your Dr is right you may need it for a little while... look at me, I got pregnant too soon after my miscarriage and it caused issues-now I'm having surgery... I wish I had been on...You do what’s right for you when it's right... take your time. take the Birth control... I'll be trying in May.... it will be nice to know you will be out there exploring this possibility too.... maybe... but don't pressure yourself! Take care my dear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ali for your support.
      I wasn't happy about taking the pill, but I've realized it's the best for my body to get back on track. So I will take it until we are ready to start our journey again.
      It will indeed be nice to know someone is also out there trying.....
      take care of yourself. I hope everything with the surgery will go as planned.
      xx

      Delete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved